Sunday, July 6, 2008

BREAKING NEWS

Team Nebraska Triathlon hosted a duathlon at Pioneers Park this morning. While duathlons and triathlons are generally individual sports, a record number of team competitors showed up today. In the women's team division KimC took the gold, while fellow Lincoln Roadies, RonN and JoeM placed very well in their respective categories. KevinB toughed it out as an individual competitor, but the real story was the unusually large showing of teamFIRE members, including the infamous toodler KevinW. KevinW, who prefers to be called the Infamous One, represented teamFIRE well with a first place podium finish in the CoEd team division. When asked about his spectacular performance, the Infamous One simply said, "I've moved to the dark side and I like it. No more toodling for me." His fellow teamFIRE members Nicol, Katie, Mark and Janna, all of which placed in the top three in their divisions, agreed that it is scary how quickly KevinW is adapting to the dark side. Janna remarked how the Infamous One showed no remorse when using his frame pump to gain an advantage during the race. Though she thought it was an unnecessary advantage, as his superior riding skills were more than enough to win. When asked why he chose to participate in the team competition rather than the individual category, the Infamous One responded that he needed a partner to slow him down or the race would have been too easy. None of the other competitors complained that the hilly 4 mile run and 13 mile bike ride were easy. KevinW on the other hand, plans to use this so called easy race as the starting point for his ruthless entrance into the dark side of racing. Before departing to eat up some more road miles, he warned all toodlers to beware, the Infamous One is on the prowl and is looking to turn others to the dark side.

6 comments:

Bob K said...

Wow, his wife must have run REALLY fast.

avabee said...

How impressive! Congrats to the participants!

I'd never even heard of the race...that's an event I'd really like to try sometime! (I'd be the slowest but who cares.)

sydney said...

too funny.oh, for some pix

kevinW said...

Allow me to clear up some, a-hem, embellishments in da terminator's reporting...

Yes, my wife and I did finish first in the team division -- out of 4 teams -- and one of those was racing a mountain bike. And I'm under no delusions -- my wife is much more the runner than I am the cyclist.

The only time I thought I'd have to unleash the frame pump was if da terminator would've rolled up on me with plans of leaving me in her dust!

In all seriousness though -- as it was my first experience in any kind of bike race -- I really appreciated all the words of encouragement, seeing all the friendly faces and just the general "can-do" attitude of everyone there -- good fun and a GREAT group of people.

nicol said...

The look in his eye and lack of toodling in his pedal stroke was enough for me to fear him.

Definitely, beware.

gravy said...

If I ever see the Infamous One... I'm going to toodle away just as fast as my toodling abilities can take me... I'm in toodle fear!

(How about we give the Infamous One a different name... like Wonder Pet #2 or something?)